ltdorf bei Nürnberg is a town in south-eastern Germany. It is situated 25 km east of Nuremberg, in the district Nürnberger Land. Its name literally means Altdorf near Nuremberg, to distinguish it from other Altdorfs. Altdorf is first mentioned in 1129. In 1504 the town was conquered by the Imperial Free City of Nuremberg. In the 16th century, the city government of Nuremberg founded an academy in Altdorf, which became a university in 1622.