Poitiers - JJoubert bridge on the Clain. Church of St. Radegone. St. Peter's Cathedral (Pont Joubert sur le Clain. Église Sainte-Radegone. Cathédrale Saint-Pierre)


Poitiers - JJoubert bridge on the Clain. Church of St. Radegone. St. Peter's Cathedral (Pont Joubert sur le Clain. Église Sainte-Radegone. Cathédrale Saint-Pierre)
Added by Bart Perdieus
General Description Poitiers is a city on the Clain river in west-central France. It is a commune and the capital of the Vienne department and of the Poitou-Charentes region. Poitiers is a major university centre. The centre of town is picturesque and its streets include predominant historical architecture, especially religious architecture and especially from the Romanesque period. Two major military battles took place near the city: in 732, the Battle of Poitiers (also known as the Battle of Tours), in which the Franks commanded by Charles Martel halted the expansion of the Umayyad Caliphate, and in 1356, the Battle of Poitiers, a key victory for the English forces during the Hundred Years' War. This battle's consequences partly provoked the Jacquerie.
The Church of St. Radegund (French: Radegonde) is a medieval Roman Catholic church in Poitiers, France, dating from the 6th century. It takes its name from from the Frankish queen and nun, Radegund, who was buried in the church. Considered a saint, the church became a place of pilgrimage by those devoted to her heavenly intercession. The current church, constructed from the 11th to 12th centuries, was built in a combination of Romanesque and Angevin Gothic architectural styles.
Poiters Cathedral (Cathédrale Saint-Pierre de Poitiers) is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Poitiers, France. It is the seat of the Archbishop of Poitiers.
Its construction began in 1162 by Henry II of England and Eleanor of Aquitaine on the ruins of a Roman basilica, and work was well advanced by the end of the 12th century. It is the largest medieval monument in the city of Poitiers.
It is built in the Romanesque and Early Gothic styles, the latter predominating. It consists of three naves almost equal in height and width, all three of which decrease towards the west, thus enhancing the perspective. Its length is 308 ft., and the keystone of the central vaulted roof is 89 ft. above the pavement. There is no apse, and the exterior generally has a heavy appearance. The principal front, which is broad relative to its height, has unfinished side-towers 105 and 110 ft. tall, begun in the 13th century.
Height 90.00 mm
Width 140.00 mm
Catalog prices No catalog prices set yet

eBay