|Added by||stomff andrei aurel|
|General Description||Overlooked by the Château, the Orangerie with its wide space, high trees and pure lines is one of the crowning achievements of Jules Hardouin-Mansart which best shows his talent as a great architect. Some of the orange trees from Portugal, Spain and Italy, and lemon and pomegranate trees are over 200 years old. They are kept indoors here in winter before being spread during the summer on its flowerbed.
Built by Jules Hardouin-Mansart between 1684 and 1686 to replace the small orangery built by Le Vau in 1663, it consists of a central vaulted gallery 150 metres long, prolonged by two side galleries located under the stairways of the Cent-Marches. The building is lit by large windows. The Orangerie Parterre covers no less than three hectares. In the reign of Louis XIV it was decorated with sculptures now kept in the musée du Louvre. Consisting of six sections of lawn and a circular pool, in the summer it features 1,055 trees in boxes, including palm trees, oleanders, pomegranate trees, eugenias and orange trees that spend the winter inside the building.
|Catalog prices||No catalog prices set yet|