|Added by||stomff andrei aurel|
|General Description||Dresden's Zwinger Palace is famous around the world for its beautiful baroque architecture. It was built in 1709 during the reign of Augustus the Strong. The remarkable sculptures adorning the gallery walls are by various artists and help make this one of the main attractions in Saxony's regional capital.
The Zwinger Palace in Dresden was built in 1709. It was originally an open area surrounded by wooden buildings which was used by the Saxon nobility for tournaments and other courtly pursuits. The sandstone palace was built between 1710 and 1719 by Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann, under Elector Augustus the Strong. Its pavilions and galleries on the side of the ramparts were used as an orangery.
The richly sculptured Rampart Pavilion, bounding the central courtyard to the northeast, is topped by a statue of Hercules, created by sculptor Balthasar Permoser. The almost symmetric Glockenspielpavilion at the other end of the courtyard was originally named Stadtpavillon but it was renamed after a carillon was installed between 1924 and 1936.
|Catalog prices||No catalog prices set yet|