|Added by||Alexandru Dan|
|General Description||The Cultural Palace, built between 1911 and 1913, is a remarkable construction in the centre of Târgu Mureş (Marosvásárhely). It was built to the request of György Bernády by Marcell Komor (1868-1944) and Dezső Jakab (1864-1932).
The competition for building the Cultural Palace was won by Komor and Jakab with their two-floor plan. Only later to the request of mayor Bernády György the construction was expanded to 3 floors. Construction started in 1911 and lasted until 1913 when the inside decorations were completed. On the window glasses there are illustrated sequences from Hungarian legends. The roof is decorated with blue, ruddy and white tiles. On the main façade the statues and the embossments are in bronze. The Mirrors Hall can be found on the first floor of the building, and on the balustrades of the windows the portraits of Kazinczy Ferenc, Tompa Mihály, Kemény Zsigmond and more. The most interesting and visited part of the Palace is the Mirrors Hall, which is above the entrance hall. Above the 'quartet' gate the bronze embossments of Szent Erzsébet, Bolyai János and Bolyai Farkas, Aranka György and Bánk bán of Erkel Ferenc can be seen.
The inside of the palace housed the City Cinema between 1913 and 1957, the first Romanian Theatre School between 1934 and 1940, the State Theatre between 1946 and 1973, the Fine Arts and Music Secondary School between 1949 and 1970, the Academy of Fine Arts between 1932 and 1949 and the County House for Guidance of Folkloric Creation between 1950 and 1999. The Palace has also been home to the County Library since 1913.
|Catalog prices||No catalog prices set yet|