|The Alamo, originally known as Mission San Antonio de Valero, is a former Roman Catholic mission and fortress compound, site of the Battle of the Alamo in 1836, and now a museum, in San Antonio, Texas.
The compound, which originally comprised a sanctuary and surrounding buildings, was built by the Spanish Empire in the 18th century for the education of local Native Americans after their conversion to Christianity. In 1793, the mission was secularized and soon abandoned. Ten years later, it became a fortress housing the Mexican Army group the Second Flying Company of San Carlos de Parras, who likely gave the mission the name "Alamo".
|THE ALAMO - SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS
Erected in 1718 as a church and fortress, it became the symbol of Texas independence. During the Texas-Mexican Independence War in 1836, it was defended and lost to the last Texan. Soon "Remember the Alamo" became synonymous with Texas Independence.
|No catalog prices set yet