|Added by||Bart Perdieus|
|General Description :||A perron (French; Dutch perroen) is a stone column, decorated with a globus cruciger, that was erected in cities belonging to the erstwhile Prince-Bishopric of Liège (980-1795). They were primarily built in the so-called Good Cities (French: Bonnes Villes, Dutch: Goede Steden) that formed the primary towns of the polity.
The columns came to symbolise freedom and autonomy (initially bishopric autonomy, later urban autonomy). This stemmed from their function as place where laws were stated, and justice was administered. However, the actual origin of the symbols of the column is unclear.
|Face value||25 Centimes|
|Catalog code (Michel)||BE 143a|
|Catalog code (Scott)||BE 123|
|Catalog code||Yvert et Tellier BE 164 Stanley Gibbons BE 236a AFA number BE 143 Belgium BE 164 Unificato BE 164|
|Stamp use||Commemorative stamp|
|Designer||H. Segers / Henri-Lucien Cheffer|
|Printed by||Joh. Enschedé en Zonen, Haarlem|
|Catalog prices||No catalog prices set yet|