Dunkirk-City Hall


Dunkirk-City Hall Dunkirk-City Hall
Added by Alain Martineau
Front Description The town hall belfry was inaugurated in 1901 by the President of the Republic Emile Loubet and Tsar Nicolas II. A mixture of red brick and stone, in Flemish Renaissance style, it was designed by Louis-Marie Cordonnier and restored by his son after the Second World War.
It is 75 metres high and punctuates the main fa├žade of the town hall, adorned with six statues glorifying six great men of Dunkirk. Above the central gatehouse there is an equestrian statue of Louis XIV who bought the town back from the English in 1662.
The inner base of the belfry is lit by a large stained glass window representing the triumphant return of the Dunkirk privateer Jean Bart, after his victory at the battle of Texel in 1694.
Height 150.00 mm
Width 103.00 mm
Catalog prices No catalog prices set yet

eBay